Thursday, September 7, 2017

Independent Reading

In third grade, we focus A LOT on building stamina for independent reading. We not only want our students to be able to sit and read for at least 30 minutes at a time, but also to be thinking about their story as they are reading. In order to build this, we teach about good fit books and independent reading behaviors. Yesterday we focused on 'IPICK' for good fit books.

I CHOOSE
Purpose - why am I reading it?
Interest- Do I like it?
Comprehend - Do I understand?
Know - Do I know most of the words? 5 finger rule

Here's a song we learned to remember that!

Today after we discussed our independent reading behaviors, we put it into practice. We made it for 12 min with the whole class silently reading and not distracting others!

Here is the class in action.














1 comment: